“Inspire The Youth” Contest Rules
- ELIGIBILITY: The Inspire the Youth contest (“Contest”) is open to legal residents of the U.S. and the District of Columbia, who meet all the following criteria: 1) are at least sixteen (16) years old as of the Contest Start Date, 2) have Internet access, a Facebook account in good standing and the necessary video recording equipment prior to the Contest start date; 3) plan on attending a post high school educational institution in 2012 or 2013 (e.g., a community college, university or vocational school) and 4) are current (or retired) Arizona firefighters, Arizona fire service employees, Immediate Family Members (or someone living in the household of) an Arizona firefighter or fire service employee (authentication will be required) (“Contestants”). Contestants who are under 18 years old must have permission from their parent or legal guardian prior to entering the Content.
Contest is void in Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S. Military installations in foreign countries, all other U.S. territories and possessions, and wherever else restricted or prohibited by law. Contest is sponsored by Greenspan Adjusters International, Inc., dba The Greenspan Co./Adjusters International, 6380 East Thomas Road, Scottsdale, Arizona 85251 (“Sponsor” or “The Greenspan Co./Adjusters International”). Employees, officers, directors, agents, representatives of Sponsor, its licensors and prize suppliers, the legal, promotion and advertising agencies of any aforementioned entities (collectively, the “Contest Entities”), and their Immediate Family Members and those living in their household (whether or not related), and each person or entity connected with the production, prize fulfillment or administration of the Contest, and each parent company, affiliate, subsidiary, agent and representative of any aforementioned entity are not eligible. “Immediate Family Members” are defined as spouse, mother, father, sisters, brothers, sons, daughters, uncles, aunts, nephews, nieces, grandparents and in-laws, regardless of where they live. This Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws.
- CONTEST PERIOD: The Contest Submission Period begins on May 1, 2012 at 12:01 AM Pacific Daylight Time (“PDT”), and ends on June 22, 2012 at 11:59 PM PDT (the “Contest Submission Period”). ALL ENTRIES MUST BE SUBMITTED DURING THE CONTEST SUBMISSION PERIOD. By participating, Contestants agree (or Contestant’s parent or legal guardian if Contestant is a minor) to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the judges and/or Sponsor, which are binding and final on matters relating to this Contest. Only one submission per natural person.
- OVERVIEW OF THE CONTEST. The Contest is composed of two successive submission phases. In the first phase, Contestants are asked to submit a 1-minute maximum video together with an entry form, during the Contest Submission Period. Submissions will be screened and judged by Sponsor. Qualified submissions will proceed to online public voting. Based on public votes, up to ten (10) contestants with the highest scores (“Finalists”) will be selected. Finalists will then be asked to prepare a 200-word maximum essay, which will we submitted for judging to a qualified panel of judges. The Submission with the highest score will be the potential winner of a Seven Thousand Five Hundred Dollar ($7,500) cash prize (“Grand Prize”); the five (5) submissions with the next highest scores will each be the potential winners of a Five Hundred Dollar ($500) cash prize (“Runner-Up Prizes”).
- HOW TO ENTER: Online Submissions only. If you’re under 18, you must have your parent or legal guardian’s prior permission to enter the Contest and submit a Video and Photo. To enter, follow all three steps described below.
- SUBMISSION GUIDELINES:
VIDEO GUIDELINES: Your Video Submission can be as creative as you’d like within the following guidelines:
- Your video must show, in a compelling way: what winning the Grand Prize of $7,500 would mean to you and your family to achieve your/their goals of furthering your education. It could be a video of you, your home or your family, as long as you have permission from everyone featured on screen.
- Your video must be no longer than 1 minute, including credits. In the event that a video exceeds 1 minute, the qualified judging panel will either disqualify the entry or consider only the first minute, at its option.
- Your video must be in .mov format and up to 320×240 in size (standard YouTube size).
- Your video must be truthful, enthusiastic, compelling, positive and relevant to the message. It can be funny or serious.
- No video shall contain any legible trademark, logo or trade name, except with Sponsor’s prior permission.
- Any music or images used in the video must be an original work of authorship of Contestant under U.S. Copyright Law or must be used with permission from the copyright holder (which permission must cover all uses contemplated in these Official Rules). Any actors, music, voice-overs, or images contained in any Submission must be properly licensed, and evidence of such may be requested by Sponsor at any time during or after the Contest Submission Period.
ESSAY GUIDELINES (for the Second Phase of the Contest, if you are eligible): Your Essay Submission can be as creative as you’d like within the following guidelines:
- Your essay must explain what it means for you to be an Arizona firefighter (or retired Arizona firefighter), an Arizona fire service member or a member of an Arizona firefighter’s family or household, which post high school studies you (or your family member) wish to pursue and how the scholarship will help achieve those goals.
- Your essay must be truthful and written by you and no one else.
- Your essay must be enthusiastic, compelling, positive and relevant
- Your essay must be 200-words maximum. In the event that an essay exceeds 200 words, the qualified judging panel will either disqualify the entry or read only the first 200 words, at its option.
- Your essay must be in one of the following formats: .doc, .docx, or .pdf.
ADDITIONAL GUIDELINES FOR ALL SUBMISSIONS:
- Submissions must be appropriate for a broad audience of potential viewers since the winning Submissions may be broadcast on the web and distributed to the public.
- All Submissions must be original works of authorship, created by the person who submits the entry. Contestants may not copy or otherwise plagiarize the Submission from any source, nor may the video, photo or essay include third-party copyrighted material, such as music, photographs, text, or movie snippets, without the copyright holder’s permission. By entering, Contestant represents and warrants (or Contestant’s parent or legal guardian if Contestant is a minor) that the Submission does not infringe any third party’s rights, and that s/he has obtained all necessary permissions from all relevant third parties to submit the Submission. If, in the sole discretion of Sponsor, your Submission constitutes copyright infringement, the Submission will be disqualified.
- Contestant must hold all rights to the entire Submission. Contestant must secure – and finalists will be required to submit – a written release from any actors and/or any other photo or video participant to use their name and likeness under the terms and conditions of these Official Rules. Contestant agrees (or Contestant’s parent or legal guardian if Contestant is a minor) to indemnify and hold harmless Sponsor against any and all claims from any third party for any use by Sponsor of Submission (including without limitation all claims of infringement and publicity rights violation).
- Contestants may not be, nor may Contestant use parties who: 1) are represented under contract (e.g., by a talent agent or manager) that would limit or impair Sponsor’s ability to show the video in any media form; 2) have an acting or modeling contract that would make their appearance in the Submission a violation of any third party rights; 3) are under a merchandising agreement; or 4) are under any other contractual relationship, including but not limited to guild and/or union memberships, that may prohibit them from participating fully in this promotion, or from allowing Sponsor to use royalty-free, the Submission worldwide in all media in perpetuity.
- No Submission may depict any nudity, animal or plant cruelty, harmful or illegal activity or substances, or offensive, obscene subject matter as determined in Sponsor’s sole discretion. No Submission shall portray firefighters, fire service personnel, the State of Arizona or Sponsor in a negative light.
- Please, no personal attacks on anyone.
- Sponsor reserves the right to exclude any Submission that it believes doesn’t meet the above criteria, at its sole discretion.
- JUDGING: Judging will be completed in several rounds. All entries will be prescreened to ensure the entries have correctly met the Submission Guidelines and meet with Sponsor’s general standards and practices prior to any judging. (“Qualified Submissions”).
(1) CREATE YOUR VIDEO: First make your own 1-minute or less video (“Video”) according to the Submission Guidelines section contained in these rules (“Submission Guidelines”). It must be a Video of yourself, explaining, in your own words and in a compelling way, what winning the Grand Prize of $7,500 would mean to you and your family to achieve your goals of going to school. If other people are featured with you on screen, you must have their prior permission to submit the Video into the Contest (or their parent’s or legal guardian’s permission if they are minors). Your Video must be in .mov format and up to 320 x 240 in size. It can be as fun as you like within the Submission Guidelines described on these Official Rules (see below).
(2) SUBMIT YOUR VIDEO: Once you have the video, you can submit it as follows:
On Our Facebook Page: During the Contest Period, log in to your Facebook account (or create a free Facebook account) and access Sponsor’s Facebook page located at www.facebook.com/greenspanai during the Contest Period and click on the Contest tab. Click on the “Like” button (if you have previously “liked” the Sponsor’s Facebook page, you will not be required to repeat this action for entry). You will not be automatically entered into the Contest by only clicking on the “Like” button. Complete the online entry form in its entirety, including all required contact information and an explanation of your connection to an Arizona firefighter or fire service member, upload your Video according to the directions on the screen and submit it according to the on-screen instructions (“Submission”). The order of these steps may vary. Our Facebook page is referred to as the “Website.”
All information provided, including contact information, must be current and valid. Incomplete Submissions, including but not limited to those Submissions that do not meet the requirements specified in these Official Rules, will not be eligible for the next round. Submissions will be deemed to have been submitted by the Authorized Account Holder of the e-mail address submitted at the time of Submission (each, a “Contestant”). “Authorized Account Holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization (such as a business or educational institution) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. In the event of a dispute over the ownership of an e-mail address, prize will be awarded to the Authorized Account Holder of the designated e-mail address. You agree that once you submit your Submission, it becomes the property of Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned.
All Submissions must be received by the Contest end date and time according to the computer time on Sponsor’s server. No hand or mail-in deliveries will be accepted. Sponsor is not responsible for incomplete, late, lost, delayed, damaged, misdirected, void, corrupted, garbled, illegible, or unintelligible submissions and those Submissions are void and will not be accepted; nor is Sponsor responsible for any problems, bugs or malfunctions Contestants may encounter when seeking to enter their Submissions. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any Contestant it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or violating these Official Rules. Entries generated by a script, bot, macro or other automated means will be disqualified.
At any time before, during or after the Contest Period, Sponsor may, in its discretion, choose to post or distribute one or more Submissions, the creator’s name, photo and profile information online (including Sponsor’s websites, Facebook pages, Twitter feeds, YouTube channels and third-party websites) for promotional and entertainment purposes only. Posting of this/these Submission(s) will not mean that said Submissions are eligible to win or are a Finalist or Selected Contestant. Contestants understand that users of these sites may share, embed, comment on (including negatively) and re-post their Submissions (including Photos, Videos and Essays) during and after the Voting Period.
Round One: Qualified Submissions will be reviewed and scored by a panel of qualified judges, according to the following criteria, on a 100-point scale:
- Relevancy; Effectively communicates topic (40 points)
- Passion, enthusiasm and eloquence (40 points)
- Visual quality, production value (20 points)
All Submissions with at least 50 points will be selected as semi-finalists to move to the public voting round (“Semi-Finalists”). Before public posting, Sponsor reserves the right to crop or edit the Semi-Finalist Video and Photo, for formatting or other reasonable purpose, and may embed its logo or other trademarks in the Video or Photo. Submissions may be announced and posted on Sponsor’s and affiliates’ websites and/or Facebook page.
Public Voting.On or about July 1, 2012, the Semi-Finalists’ Videos, Photos and names will be posted on www.facebook.com/Greenspanai/app_95936962634 for review and voting by the public for approximately 30 days (the “Voting Period”). You must register on the site to be able to submit a vote. Only one vote per registered user per video. Use of bots, devices and other programs to increase views or votes is prohibited.
Round Two: Up to ten (10) Submissions with the highest score(s) will be selected as Finalists (“Finalists”) and will move on to Round Two.
Each Finalist will be contacted by email or telephone, at Sponsor’s discretion, using the contact information provided at the time of entry and will be asked to write a 200-word maximum essay to move to the next round and be eligible to win the Grand Prize (the “Finalist Submission”). In your essay, you must tell us, in your own words, what it means for you to be an Arizona firefighter (or retired Arizona firefighter), an Arizona fire service member or a member of an Arizona firefighter’s family or household, which post high school studies you (or your family member) wish to pursue and how the scholarship will help achieve those goals (“Essay”). Your Essay must be in Word (.doc or .docx) or .pdf format. It must be truthful but can be as fun and enthusiastic as you like within the Submission Guidelines described on these Official Rules (see above). Essays must be submitted as directed, and by the deadline provided by Sponsor at the time of notification.
Each Finalist will be required to respond (as directed) to the phone and/or e-mail notification within forty-eight (48) hours of attempted notification. Assumed notification by caller ID and any subsequent returned calls do not constitute a Finalist. If Contestant cannot be reached, fails to return Sponsor’s call or email in a timely manner as required by these Official Rules, he/she will be disqualified. In such case, Sponsor may choose the next highest scoring entry from among the remaining eligible entries. Finalists may be sent an affidavit of eligibility / liability / publicity release (“Release”). Unless restricted by law, each Finalist will be required to complete and return the Release within forty-eight (48) hours of the date notice is sent. Finalists may also be required to provide name, U.S. Social Security Number (for tax form purposes), birth date, current address and phone number. Unless restricted by law, Finalist (or, if Finalist is a minor, Finalist’s parent or legal guardian) will be required to complete and return the Release within the time period specified therein.
Final Judging: Beginning on or about September 9, 2012, all Finalists Submissions (including Photo, Video and Essay) will be reviewed and scored by a panel of Sponsor’s qualified judges, taking into consideration the result of the public voting and the following criteria:
- Overall Impact (40 points)
- Enthusiasm and passion (30 points)
- Clarity and compelling nature of message, intent and delivery (20 points)
- Originality (10 points)
The top-scoring Finalist will be deemed the potential winner of the Grand Prize (“Grand Prize Selected Contestant”). Up to five (5) Finalists with the next highest scoring Submissions will be deemed the potential winners of the Runner-Up Prizes (“Runner-Up Selected Contestants”). In case of a tie, the tying submissions will be re-scored. Any Submission that is considered by Sponsor in its sole discretion to be obscene, libelous, inapposite to the reputation of Sponsor, or otherwise objectionable or inappropriate, or which otherwise does not comply with these Official Rules will be disqualified. Any communication or information transmitted to Sponsor and/or the Website by electronic mail or otherwise is and will be treated as non-confidential and nonproprietary. Finalists, Runner-Up Selected Contestants and Grand Prize Selected Contestant are collectively referred to as “Selected Contestants.”
Selected Contestants will be required to respond (as directed) to the phone and/or e-mail notification within seventy-two (72) hours of attempted notification. Assumed notification by caller ID and any subsequent returned calls do not constitute a winner. The failure to respond timely to the notification may result in forfeiture of the Prizes; and, in such case, Sponsor may choose the next highest scoring entry from among the remaining eligible entries. Selected Contestants will be sent an affidavit of eligibility / liability / publicity release (“Release”). Unless restricted by law, each Selected Contestant will be required to complete and return the Release within seventy-two (72) hours of the date notice is sent. Selected Contestant may also be required to provide name, U.S. Social Security Number (for tax form purposes), birth date, current address and phone number. Unless restricted by law, the Selected Contestant (or, if Selected Contestant is a minor, Selected Contestant’s parent or legal guardian), will be required to complete and return the Release within the time period specified therein.
The name, Photo, Video and Essay of Finalists and Selected Contestants may be announced and posted on Sponsor’s website(s) and social media pages, including Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, on or around September 22, 2012 (date subject to change) and may potentially be posted online and aired nationally, at Sponsor’s discretion.
CONTESTANTS WILL NOT BE PAID FOR THEIR SUBMISSIONSor for granting Sponsor any of these rights. While Sponsor will seek to post Submissions in the form as provided at the time of entry, Submissions may be edited for length, clarity and/or functionality and Sponsor reserves the right to re-shoot, edit or modify the Submission in its sole discretion, including replacing any voiceover, soundtrack or music or adding its logo or other trademarks. Sponsor may post Submissions in any order or sequence, with or without commentary, and may select a video screenshot or excerpt to serve as a thumbnail at its sole discretion.
One (1) Grand Prize: If eligible under these Official Rules, one (1) Grand Prize Selected Contestant will receive a seven thousand five hundred dollar ($7,500) cash prize. In the event that the Grand Prize Selected Contestant cannot redeem Grand Prize as provided herein for any reason, Selected Contestant will forfeit his or her Prize.
Five (5) Runner-Up Prizes. If eligible under these Official Rules, up to five (5) Runner-Up Selected Contestants will each receive a five hundred dollar ($500) cash prize.
Total Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”) of Prizes: $10,000.
All prize awards are subject to verification of eligibility. In the event that a Selected Contestant cannot accept or redeem a prize as provided herein for any reason, Selected Contestant will forfeit his or her Prize.
Cash prizes will be in the form of a check or other mode of payment, at Sponsor’s discretion, payable to the Contestant named in the winning entry. Prizes will be delivered by first class mail or overnight carrier (such as FedEx or UPS), at Sponsor’s sole discretion. All prizes will be shipped to U.S. addresses only. Sponsor is not responsible for, and will not replace, any lost, late, misdirected, undeliverable, damaged or stolen prizes.
For all prizes, all federal, state and local taxes and other expenses in connection with the prize are the sole responsibility of the Selected Contestant (or Selected Contestant’s parent or legal guardian if Selected Contestant is a minor). Contestants may be issued an IRS Form 1099 for the ARV of any awarded prize. Selected Contestants are solely responsible for any other unspecified expenses related to prize. All activities related to the prize, are at the Selected Contestants’ own risk and subject to whatever restrictions are imposed by the entities that govern such activities. Selected Contestants are not entitled to any surplus between actual retail value of prize and stated ARV and any difference between stated ARV and actual value of the prize will not be awarded. No substitution, transfer, or cash redemption of prize, provided however that Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize with another prize of equal or greater value should the advertised prize become unavailable for any reason. In the event of noncompliance with the foregoing requirements or if prize notification is returned as undeliverable, prize will be forfeited and, at Sponsor’s discretion, an alternate Selected Contestant will be selected. Prizes will be delivered by U.S. Mail or carrier (i.e., FedEx, UPS), within Sponsor’s sole discretion, to the address provided by the Contestant. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, misdirected or undelivered Prizes. In the event that parent or guardian of a Selected Contestant who is a minor does not provide the appropriate permissions, Selected Contestant will forfeit the winning title and the prize.
Sponsor is not responsible and shall not be held liable, and your entry may be disqualified and may not be considered for any Prize, should your Submission be removed from any third-party video hosting site, such as YouTube, for any reason (including without limitation DMCA take-down), or should your Submission be unavailable for any reason during the Public Voting Period.
Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, modify or suspend the Contest should a virus, bug, computer problem, unauthorized intervention or other causes beyond Sponsor’s control, corrupt the administration, security or proper play of the Contest. Use of automated entry devices or programs is prohibited. Any attempts to access the site, enter the Contest or increase votes or views via a bot script, device or brute-force attack will result in disqualification, including that IP address becoming ineligible for the entire Contest. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE IN VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND WILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION FROM PARTICIPATION IN THE CONTEST. SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK REMEDIES AND DAMAGES (INCLUDING ATTORNEY FEES) TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW, INCLUDING CRIMINAL PROSECUTION.